Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Recent history

I'm not apologizing for being lax in my updates, but it is unfortunate nonetheless. Rather than play catchup, I'll just go with recent history.

Most recently, dramatically, I was involved in yet another motorcycle accident. Again, some car being careless on the road and causing me to "take evasive action". For better or worse, the crash was also caught on video and almost everyone I know has seen it. The good thing is it's a good example of what to do during a crash (my opinion), and a sobering reminder of what can happen while riding. I've already been assured by parents I know they have shown their kids "bad things that can happen on motorcycles" and just "how dangerous they can be".

My biggest problem with statements like that is the preconception of motorcycle riders. Naturally the rider wearing bahama shorts, a cut off t-shirt, and tennis shoes is going to end up dead or well on his way even under 30 mph. Give yourself a decent jacket, full helmet, gloves, boots, sturdy pants, and an accident "as crazy as mine" is more than survivable. In fact if I had just a little extra knee / leg protection, I would have ended up just a little shaken, nothing more. Put myself in actual riding leathers and I wouldn't have had anything more than a small bruise.

That sort of brings me to my next thought. I can't wait to ride again. In fact, it's almost torture to look at new potential bikes now while I'm not even able to buy it. Nothing against anyone, but it's still worth it to me. If you don't understand, then chances are you haven't ridden, or were forced out of it for one reason or another. The rest of you may not agree, but at least you understand, so thanks.

The other things I'm really angry I'm going to miss now are my workouts, walking up / down stairs, being able to pick things up from the ground, getting in / out of my car without feeling retarded. Most of all my "semi-marathon" at the end of the month. The day before I went down, I had just finished a 4 mile run without any problem and was well on my way for the 15 miles or so I'd have to run at the end of the month.

This friday I get my stitches out of my knee. I'll try to remember to bring up with the doctor a recommended recovery schedule. Hopefully within a month I'll be able to ride & soon after I'll be back in the gym. Here's to hoping for a full recovery.